There are inexpensive and easy ways to lower your Energy Costs and increase the Resale Value of your Shrewsbury, MA home

SHREWSBURY, Massachusetts – Since there are several easy ways to cut your home energy costs and low energy costs add to resale value to your Shrewsbury home, what better time to start implementing them than right now? These tips are tried and true and really can help you save on the energy costs of your home.

– Washer and Dryer Use: You can halve your energy usage simply by changing the temperature from hot to warm on your clothes washer. And if you line dry just half of your clothing on an indoor drying rack, you can save up to $52 per year. An energy efficient dryer will also reduce the energy costs of using the appliances; look for Energy Star certified washers and dryers.

– Replace your upright freezer for a chest freezer. Chest freezers consume up to 25% less energy because the cold air does not pour out each time you open the door. You can calculate what your current model versus a new one would save you online. Consider this amount if you decide to renovate, and calculate that into the resale value of your home.

– Change all of your bulbs from incandescent to compact fluorescent bulbs or light-emitting diodes. Incandescents only use 10% of their energy for light; the remaining 90% is turned to heat. This switch can be part of a slew of things that you do to make your home more energy-efficient, a large selling point for many buyers nowadays.

– Make it possible to unplug devices when not in use. Many of these devices use power even in they are in stand-by mode. A simple way to do this is to plug your televisions, printers, iPods and cell phones into a power surge protector. By switching one button, you can turn them all off at once. This small change could save you up to $100 per year.

– By weather stripping drafty doors and caulking windows you can save up to 20% on heating and air conditioning costs. In addition, installing double-paned Low Emissivity windows can save you up to $450 per year in energy costs. Use these as contributing elements to your energy-efficient home.

– Choose an Energy Star Appliance when the time comes to replace your home’s leading energy guzzlers. These include your refrigerator, clothes washer, clothes dryer and dishwasher. You will save up to $75 per year.

– Lastly, Wood Burning stoves can save you anywhere from 20% – 40% on your home heating bills, and may add to the warm feeling and ambience of your home.

All of these considerations can add value to your Shrewsbury home, and I would encourage you to contact me for recommendations of people who will be able to give a consultation on the cost and value of these appliances and who will even be able to install them for you!

 

About Steve Levine

For nearly three decades, Steve Levine of REMAX Professional Associates, has been one of the top Real Estate agents in the Central Massachusetts.  A ten-time honoree as #1 REMAX Agent in New England, he brings to the table the experience that comes from working successfully with over 2000 Buyers and Sellers, through all types of real estate markets.  Adept at everything from land development, to custom home building, to residential single family and condo sales, his “can do” approach has made him one of the most sought after agents in the region.

A consummate marketing aficionado, and recognized as one of the most innovative Realtors in the industry, he has spoken nationally on many occasions, training other real estate agents on customer service, marketing, and web presence, and is currently developing a suite of instructional videos designed to enable agents to take their business to the next level.

When not out selling Massachusetts’s real estate, Steve is a passionate photographer, musician and writer, and is constantly looking for new ways to express himself.

For a private consultation on your Massachusetts real estate needs, he can be reached by email at steve@shrewsbury.net, by phone at 508 735-4663.

You can also check out his photography website at www.stellarimages.us.